When creating a WordPress themes, you can go several ways. You can write code from scratch, edit a ready theme, or use a special framework . In this review we will consider the third option WordPress framework themes.On the one hand, does not limit your imagination to an already created theme, but on the other hand it allows you to get rid of routine operations, focusing on design.
However, even despite the obvious advantages of using frameworks, there is no unambiguous opinion among specialists on their account. Some believe that frameworks give a significant increase in speed and quality of development. Others believe that they limit the developers, concluding them in certain frames. And if it is necessary to solve an extraordinary task, then the efforts expended to bypass the functionality of the framework, negate its advantages. In addition, the time spent on development can be compared with the time spent on coding.
WordPress Framework Themes
Hybrid Core is a WordPress framework themes and easy to install and configure a framework that allows you to develop complex projects without resorting to large amounts of coding. It is compatible with the Schema standard, which provides good SEO optimization .
Hybrid Core has many features that greatly simplify the developer’s work. Among them are:
- The navigation chain, perfectly working on any pages, including messages of any type.
- Corrected and optimized version of the shortcode, providing full control over the gallery of images.
- Media Grabber – a function that allows you to capture any media content and use it anywhere on the site.
- A message template that allows you to create blanks for various types of notes, not limited to the page template as a whole.
- Extend the standard pagination function, which allows you to manage the breakdown of the material on the search results page, archived pages, etc.
- Automatic download of multilingual support tools for both parent and child themes.
Gantry is an attempt by professionals from RocketTheme to combine all their achievements in developing WordPress framework themes. And the attempt, it must be said, is very successful. Constructed using a dynamic grid, this very lightweight framework supports SCSS, CSS and LESS.
Take a look at the list of the main features of Gantry:
- The layout manager provides complete freedom in developing the layout.
- A content management system that allows you to create, edit and publish content.
- Visual menu constructor, supporting multi-level menus and creating menu items with icons.
- Megamen allows you to create custom drop-down menus, where as sub-items can act not only links, but also any html – tables, forms, lists, formatted text
- An administrator interface created using Ajax, and working with incredible speed.
- A powerful Twig template handler.
- And Gantry boasts YAML-oriented configurator, sliding side panels, powerful inheritance capabilities and a set of all kinds of icons and fonts.
Runway is another open source solution designed to facilitate the development of WordPress framework themes. This WordPress framework themes created with it can be distributed as an independent product, independent of the framework itself.
Main features of Runway:
- A theme generator designed to create, copy and edit themes.
- The theme constructor is designed to create admin panels and non-standard (custom) type records.
- A modular structure that allows you to add the required functionality with plug-ins in literally one click.
Another open source framework in our collection is Wonderflux. A quality product that will allow you to save development time, while not losing any efficiency.
Key features of Wonderflux:
- Dynamic markup , providing the adaptation of the theme to any screen size.
- A collection of more than 100 shortcodes that allows you to embed a code or content of any type in a theme
- Administrative settings that provide easy configuration of the site.
- Compatibility with plugins WordPress allows you to solve almost any task
- A code validator that ensures compliance with web standards, which is a prerequisite for high-quality SEO optimization.
Unyson is a functionally rich framework designed for both the developer and the designer. Allows you to edit the frontend of a site or blog from the administrative panel, and has a preview window in which you can immediately evaluate the changes made.
- Designer pages with support for drag-and-drop technology .
- Content Demo Install – An extension that allows you to display content exactly as it looks when editing.
- More than 20 parameters that simplify the creation of containers, tabs and forms for the admin panel
- Dynamic lateral slide-panels , which can be adjusted individually for each page.
- Automatic backup directly from the admin panel. It is possible to regularly copy according to the schedule (daily, weekly, monthly, etc.).
- Navigation chains (aka “bread crumbs”), adding a simple and understandable navigation
- A slideshow module that supports both photo and video content.
Of course, this is not a complete list of all the features of Unyson. Special modules for SEO , contact forms , portfolio, calendar of events, star ratings , integration with social networks and Flickr should also be mentioned .
Free WordPress framework themes.Created using HTML5 and CSS3 and targeted at a wide range of users – developers, designers, bloggers.
Here are some of its features:
- Editor Front-End – the ability to edit frontend with the help of a editor with support for drag-and-drop.
- A set of plug-ins that extend the basic functionality of the framework to solve a specific task.
- Media Queries – the module responsible for optimal appearance on any device.
- Presence of complete PSD files for editing a theme, for example, changing the logo or graphic elements.
A multi functional framework designed to create blogs, content management systems, online books or any other types of sites.Use as the main tool, and auxiliary to create derived themes.
- The framework is based on the ZURB Foundation and inherits all its flexibility and power.
- HTML5 and hNews microformat provide clear, understandable and easily perceivable code. For HTML5 tags, you can use custom WordPress functions.
- It has mechanisms for adapting to the screen size, so it looks equally good on both smartphones and PCs.
- It follows the concept of minimalism, offering only two widgets and two custom menus.
- If you need to make changes to the design, direct editing of SCSS and custom CSS is offered.
Of the minuses is worth noting the partial SEO-optimization , so for this purpose it is recommended to use an additional plug-in.
With Vafpress, creating an administrative (backend) part of the WordPress theme becomes easier than ever.
For this, the developer has at his disposal:
- A load control script that allows loading only the required blocks without overloading the frontend with redundant code.
- Support for various types of fields: text, multiple-choice lists, checkboxes, radiobutton and other
- A powerful designer of multilevel menus. To build uses XML, which convert to an array of PHP.
- Metabox Builder – allows you to write metabox into PHP arrays.
Support for repetitive field groups.
Some developers consider Underscore to be a full-fledged framework, although some, including the authors themselves, position their product as a certain theme-progenitor for creating finished topics. Whatever the case, the use of Underscores will significantly save time and effort spent on developing themes for WordPress.
Main features of Underscore:
- Ability to create custom headers.
- Custom tags in the templates allow you to avoid duplicate code.
- A script for converting menus into a switchable drop-down list for display on mobile devices.
- Two markup templates with a sidebar located to the right or left.
- Rational CSS, which facilitates the development process.
- Page Template .
As you can see, the number of worthy attention frameworks is large enough, and, probably, just after our review you decide to test one of them in your next project.